Andy's Mission Scripture

Andy's Mission Scripture:

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

~Alma 29:9


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snail Mail from Elder Andy--February 8, 2011

Hey everybody! Hows everything going!?

I'm doing just super, but also super exhausted. I'm so thankful for P-days so my mind, body and spirit can just rest for a while during my hectic week. Now I like to think I know how Christ must of felt when He made Sundays for a day of rest, but to the tiniest little minuscule fraction of how He must of felt creating a world in seven days,thats not a good comparison at all, but it sort of gets my point across on how long and hard our days are here. Anyways a long slow week has flown by here at the MTC and I don't know where to begin. Well, I can start off by saying that I'm starting to settle in and get into the groove of things here. Seeing the new missionaries coming on on wed. amazed me that a week has already gone by, but at the same time it feels like its been longer. It amazes me how many missionaries come and go every week, its like a righteous circle of life. Today I got to go to the Provo Temple for the first time and I can't tell you how nice the experience was, let me just say P-days are my favorite days of the week, not just for the fact of being able to rest, but for the fact that I get to go to the temple. I got the package you guys sent me with the left over candy...and the Brazilian flag! Thank you so much! It really completes our room, my roommates love it. I have some awesome pictures, but I'm still figuring out how to upload them. Funny and torturous story goes along with that package. So I completely forgot that you guys were sending it. And one night during class over the intercom they call Elder McComber's name and my name and some other Elders' names to come down to the front office. Its funny here when the intercom goes off everyone quiets down and actually listens and hopes there name is called instead of high school here its the exact opposite. Anyways, our whole class quiets down and my companion looks me and says "maybe its your visa?" and that statement just rocked my socks off, we have a phrase now, like "when pigs fly" instead its "when my visa comes" so everyone thats going to Brazil is just dying inside for their visa. So anyways the class is silenced with suspense and my heart leaps when I hear my name. When I get outside my class there's Elder McComber (his class is right across from mine) and we leap into each others arms and start hollering thinking this is our time to go. So the walk to the front office just sucked the life out of me. Finally we got to the front desk and Elder McComber just had [taken out for confidentiality, at Elder Howell's request - not his visa though] haha and I just got my package. Haha not that I didn't really appreciate seeing the package, it just was the false alarm that killed me...Haha anyways I got to psyche my class out when I got back, I was like coming through the door "I got my v...package." They didn't think it was funny but I got a good laugh. Everyday here at the MTC has its moments, but I can't remember them all because the days are starting to blur together. Next time I'll grab my journal for more "moments" but I'm stuck waiting for my laundry again right now amongst chaos. Every lesson and meeting here is done with such dedication and full of heartfelt meaningful things, I love it so much. I had the opportunity to hear from one of the quorum of the seventy. He gave such a great talk on how everybody in the world has the "light of Christ hidden in themselves" or "has the bean inside them" and we as missionaries need to fertilize that bean or bring that light out from inside, through the power of the Book of Mormon! He had so many unbelievable examples, like a woman who had been addicted to drugs her whole life and some missionaries baptized her in a matter of six weeks, so unbelievable considering people take months in rehab and still have problems. Theres some more stories, but I'll tell you guys later if you want to know. His name was Elder Duncan by the way. Anyways whether my visa comes or not I know whatever happens is for the best and its the Lord's will. Besides how cool would it be to serve in two mission fields and have two calls done! But please continue to pray for all the missionaries waiting for their visas and to soften the hearts of the Brazilian ambassadors and the ambassadors around the world. I hope everything is going well at home. Til next week!

Muito Amor!
Elder Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment