Andy's Mission Scripture

Andy's Mission Scripture:

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

~Alma 29:9


Monday, April 4, 2011

First Email from Brazil!!

IN BRASIL! MY FIRST AREA- MOSSORĂ“
Oppa! whats up everybody! i made it to brasil safely, dont worry and i havnt been attacked by any wild animals.

Nossa! oh my goodness where to begin! well lets start with the longest connections of flights i have ever experienced in my life.
so pretty much i spent a total of 30 plus hours awake in traveling, that was fun. luckily i did it all with 10 other elders and sisters all together.
that was a real blessing becuase one of my other elder amigos had to do that whole thing by himself and i felt really bad because he
is really bad with directions. haha he made it safely dont worry. well turns out i only have six minutes left to write becuase i apparently spent most of my time writing to my amazing mission president hall. im so sorry i would of written a book full of the things i have experienced so far but the things that i want to point out is having humility and diligence.  i hope all of you had the opportunity to watch conference this weekend and listened intently becuase i was so grateful when i found out i was able to watch it in english becuase before i thought i was going to get nothing out of it. the advising words of the general authoreties are so priceless and i know they were all inspired of our heavenly father to say what they had to say. the people here are as kind as ever, especially the members, their charity has no bounds, i cant express to you how open their hearts are to service for the missionaries, they have very little to offer in terms of food, but they offer it all happily to prepare meals for us which basically what i have eaten is the famous rice and beans. food here is called comida and that means initially rice and beans but it is some of the best rice and beans i have ever eaten. i have also had some other very interesting foods that were also suberb that i dont know how to desribe, one is called saie and its this fruit thats frozen and mixed into some sort of ice cream, at first i thought it was chocolate ice cream, boy was i wrong, anyways on to more important things sorry i got sidetracked becuase im really hungry right now. anyways i arrived here in mossoro thursday morning at 3 and let me tell you first impression of this town was that i feared for my life, but in the morning when the sun came out this town transformed into the most charming town i have ever been in. what a metaphor i thought. my new companion is name elder g. costa and he is a brasilero and speaks no english really, the only thing he knows how to say is i like your tie. haha its difficult but im so grateful for this opportunity i have to listen intentally and learn portugues because i really have to haha. he is from belem here in brasil. my president and all the elders i have met and the people are truly inspiring and i cant tell you how happy and excited i am to get to work. please always remember read the scriptures everyday and pray intentally. follow our saviors example. i love you all very much and miss you but am very anxious to get to work! UNTIL  next week!
LOVE, elder howell
p.s. i will try to upload pics next week and write more

Here is a map of Andy's mission...his first area is in the northwest part of it:

No comments:

Post a Comment