Andy's Mission Scripture

Andy's Mission Scripture:

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

~Alma 29:9


Monday, June 6, 2011

Second Snail Mail Letter - arrived the same day as the first!

May 24, 2011

Ola Tudo Mundo!
Tudo Bem!?  (All is well?)
How is my family doing?  How are things in the Northern Hemisphere of the world?  Gosh…that made you guys sound very far away…I have to be honest, it’s really hard being obedient to not use the internet when it is so easy to get away with, but as a missionary wearing the name of Christ always (except when showering and sleeping) obedience means so much more to me than it ever has, as I’m constantly reminded of Christ’s example for us, the example that we need to follow.  Obedience is essential for a missionary as it is for everyone.  The trial of our faith to follow the Commandments and principles of the gospel that are best for us, even when we don’t like that particular rule/commandment or we don’t fully understand.  It is a test of trust and to save us from learning things the hard way. We have to accept the consequences of our actions in order to learn our lesson.  With obedience comes humility, you learn to deny the natural thoughts of man, which is pride, the desire to do things the way you want.  Obedience was the first law in Heaven and is what separates us from the dark side (putting it nicely) and pains of life, really anything that is evil in the sight of the Lord only leads to pain, no matter how many people might deny it.
Anyways, those are my thoughts on obedience, let’s move on.  So this past week was pretty good.  Things that stand out to me are:  Seeing horses and pigs in the roads doesn’t faze me anymore, sometimes occasionally a frog or two inside houses may land on me and surprise me, depends on what area, or the occasional gecko on the wall.  Still hot as ever here and its winter…I don’t believe it. 
Finally got accustomed to the food…in my bowels that is…I still haven’t tried goat stomach which I’m dying to try, it has a reputation.  Today in the “grocery store” imagine Elder Calhoun saying it, Elder G. Costa discovered they sell packaged chicken hearts and he was like “Nossa!”  “Wow! Have you tried this, it’s amazing?”  I was like, no, they don’t exactly have packaged chicken hearts in United States.  He was like “really!”  He wanted to buy it super bad but it was too expensive.  I, honestly being curious with my taste buds, wanted to try a heart or two.
Other than that, I’m doing good, the young people around are keeping me alive along with some families we know.  It’s always fun to practice my Portuguese with tons of kids surrounding me in Sacrament meeting. 
We received another American missionary in our house!  His name is Elder Wright and his is from South Jordan, Utah.  He has 5 brothers and one sister.  He is the first to serve in his family.  He is a really cool dude and he is certainly spicing things up here.  Its nice to have another person to relate to more.  I will send you a pic of me and him sometime soon.  Well, I really didn’t have any time today to write.  I promise I will write more next week.  Oh Elder Wright has more time than me on the mission, he was serving in Florida before he got here and he can’t believe the difference.
Well, I hope everything is going well, and I love you all very much.  Be grateful, Be thoughtful, Be curious, Be adventurous, Be spontaneous, Be empathetic, Be delightful, Be courteous, Be obedient, most of all be loving.  Until next week.
Love,
Elder M. Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment