Andy's Mission Scripture

Andy's Mission Scripture:

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

~Alma 29:9


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Letter from the MTC...and more pics! March 4, 2011

Querida familia e amigos!

Como Vai!  I'm doing awesome!  But I'm also feeling awesomely tired, just physically, I'm always good spiritually here.  I don't think my body has gotten used to the missionary schedule yet.  I doze off occasionally here and there, but luckily I have my companion Elder States slapping me awake.  I really regret telling him to do that now, but I'm so grateful, because I know if I'm not being fully attentive like I should be, I could miss out on something important, like time, or something I could have used to my life or to better someone else's life, that's essential for me here, and for this time of my life, because I'm really on the Lord's time and need to give it my all!  You could relate that to your life all the time, don't just go through the motions, make the most out of every motion.  It's tough, it's really tough, to be focused 100% of the time, especially when I have MDT (basically Missionary Down time) when you are given free time to be used "efficiently."  We are supposed to do language study, scripture study, plan for lessons, but sometimes we get a little off topic.  I have had a really hard time sitting still for long periods of time through scripture study and classes and such, but I've been getting a lot better when I think about the goal or why I'm doing this, and I start to think about investigators and the person I need to be for them.  I need to be the best I can be for the people I come across and for the Lord, because the message I need to share with them is so imperative, it's so important, I need to be able to show them and make them understand how much the Lord loves them and how blessed their lives are and can be. 

I'm sorry if this is a jumbled mess.  This is just what has been on my mind as my time in the MTC is coming to an end.  I couldn't think of what to say so the words just vomited out from my brain onto the page.  I pray so much for diligence everyday so I can remain focused.  I'm not saying not to have a lil fun now and then, but it's important to know when it's appropriate, that's what P-day is for.  It's so funny how you become appreciative for the little things when you don't have time for it.  Like sleep!  Or just lying down.  When I have the time just to lay down for a couple minutes I sing Hallelujah!  Whenever you lay down, appreciate it, think about Elder Howell singing Hallelujah and how I appreciate having a nice bunk bed to jump up to just relax for a sec.  Also think about how much nicer it is to unwind after a long day that you have devoted yourself to.  I can't imagine how much more I will enjoy unwinding in the field. 

Can't believe I'm almost on week 6, feels like I just wrote to you guys.  This week overall was good.  Lots of work as usual, but great.  This week we taught the first lesson fully in Portuguese!  I know its hard to believe, and I can hardly believe it myself, but we know basic conversation in Portuguese, basic MTC Portuguese that is, but still 5 weeks and to be able to basically speak a language.  I know my confidence will be shattered when I get to Brazil, but I know the Lord and the Holy Ghost will be there for me, so I'm not worried at all!...well I'm a little worried...I pray for you all every day that life is going good and I'm sorry I don't have much to say this week or more specific things to say, but I know if your life is feeling a lil down the scriptures and the Lord are always there for you and if life's going good it can be even better when you thank the Lord for your blessing and show your faith by reading the scriptures and brightening other people's days! 

Lots of love,
Elder Howell

Ready to serve...and do laundry!



This is my desk.  Well partly my desk, I share it with Elder Galvez, our new district leader BTW. 
You can see him with flags in his ears in this pic.


The Glory of the Lord's House, topped off with awesome white symbolism.
My favorite place at the MTC.



Myspace pic! With my companheiro!  Elder Estados!



Just me, you know, chillin reading Jesus the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment